U.S. VC Cleantech Investment for First Half 2007:
- $892.6M in 71 deals/5.4% of all VC investment
For reference, this is up 70% from $525M/46 deals for First Half 2006 and only 1.4% of U.S. VC investment was in cleantech in 2001.
Four N.E. companies snagged 7% of this First Half 2007 funding:
- A123 Systems - new battery company from tech out of MIT Prof. Yet-Ming Chiang's Lab raised another $40M, bringing it to over $100M in total funding. Very exciting developments with GM's plug-in hybrid plans.
- Advanced Electron Beams - electron beam tech for clean, efficient industrial energy raised $17.5M. Congrats to CEO, good friend, and NEEIC co-founder Mitch Tyson.
- Ze-gen - waste to syngas waste gasification company raised a $4.5M first round of financing.
- Greentech Media - a cleantech market reserach/news website raised $1M. This has become my own go to clean tech news site.
- SolarOne Solution - a maker of solar powered lighting systems - raised money as well. I had not heard of these guys before reading Bob's post.